In 2008, parishioners celebrated the
125th anniversary of St. Bernard’s. This was indeed a
milestone since there were no Catholics among the first to settle
in what was to become the City of Moncton after the deportation of
A first church had been built by the
Acadians near the site of the actual Bore Park called La
Chapelle. The whole area surrounding this chapel was burnt by the
ravages of Scott at the time of the deportation of 1755-1763.
Thomas Corcoran, an Irishman who arrived in
1810, was perhaps the first Catholic to settle in the Moncton area.
In 1851, Father F.X. LaFrance of Memramcook purchased a lot of land
for the construction of a church. However, it took more than
20 years before a first church was constructed and dedicated
to St. Bernard.
This parish was the first stone building in
the city. The city’s first convent was opened on Wesley Street in
1886; the first parochial school in 1891; and many parish societies
and organizations came into existence such as the Knights of
Columbus, the Catholic Women’s League and the League of the Sacred
The St. Bernard's parish was also the
centre of Catholic education in the city with the arrival of the
Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception in 1886.